Sunday, August 10, 2008

A Busy Week Afterall!

No pictures on this post, but I wanted to capture all that we did this week!

On Monday morning, I was feeling guilty because the kids were doing "nothing" (pretend, magnatiles, pirates, doggy, etc) while I was doing laundry and cleaning the house.

For some reason, I was feeling guilty because, obviously, we NEVER do anything fun and I need to be a FUN-ner mom! But, as I reflect back on my week, I think we had our share of fun, and I think the kids are JUST FINE to stay home one day out of the week. They don't complain one bit about it, and Grant actually ASKS "Can we just stay home and be a family today?" Isn't that sweet?

These are hours of "free play" that we just don't get during the school year, so come on, enjoy them!

Monday evening - we went swimming at the Fairlington pool for FHE, thanks to our dear friend, Nicole, and we had a great time! The kids would swim every day, so when we actually go, they just eat it up! Everyone except John, who's a lot more content in the "baby" pool, but we're working on that.

Tuesday - National Aquarium in Baltimore with our friend, Jami.

Wednesday - Playgroup at the Sprayground - a playground with sprinklers shooting out

Thursday - Claude Moore Memorial Farm - took us back to the year 1771 where we learned to card wool, crush corn, wash clothes in a basin with lye soap and play children's games - it's amazing what fun a child can have with a rope tied to a tree! TARZAN, eat your heart out!

Friday - Arlington County Fair. We climbed in a fireman's truck, watched a demonstration of Thai Chi, got lots of free candy, shook hands with the police officers, and brought home gobs of free pencils, coloring books and the like. We didn't see any animals - I couldn't find them anywhere!

Friday night, we all watched the Opening Ceremonies of the Olympics! They were breathtaking! I was so impressed with the precision of the 2008 dancers who beat the drums and danced. And the boxes that bobbed up and down, run by people inside? It's beyond my comprehension how they were so completely accurate! The only word to describe it is WOW!

Saturday - Andrew took the kids to swim lessons in the morning, and John and I stayed home to watch the Olympics and clean the house. Later, while John and I napped, Daddy took the 3 "big kids" to the Air and Space Museum downtown. At dinner, they told me in full detail all about what they saw - I was amazed at what they remembered. We finished off the day with some more Olympic Swimming, and a great conversation with Mom C.

We love our family and miss them all deeply! Who knows? Maybe someday we'll live closer.

4 comments:

ellen insights said...

It looks like you were able to squeeze a lot of fun into one week. I would have loved to visit the aquarium with you again. I had so much fun when I went with you last time. Faith looks really cute with her new hair cut. (Well, it is new to me because I haven't seen your blog in a while.) I hope that kids are enjoying swim lesson. I wish we would have had time to have you over for swimming before we left. Your blog looks great and is fun to read.

ellen insights said...

It looks like you were able to squeeze a lot of fun into one week. I would have loved to visit the aquarium with you again. Faith looks really cute with her new hair cut. (Well, it is new to me because I haven't seen your blog in a while.) I hope that kids are enjoying swim lesson. I wish we would have had time to have you over for swimming before we left. Your blog looks great and is fun to read.

Joanna said...

The living close thing is what we're hoping, wishing, and praying for!

Laura said...

I have always been amazed at your stamina! Enjoy your remaining time off of school - we have to go back this week =(. Hugs and love, laura