Monday, March 31, 2008

"I Looked out the Window, and what did I see?"

 


Today, I took the boys to see the famous Cherry Blossoms around the Tidal Basin in Washington D.C. Even in the rainy weather, they truly were breathtaking and I'm so glad we went!

 


It's fun to have friends around so that I can actually document myself into these outings! The boys had a great time riding in the jog stroller, eating snacks and laughing at their friend, Saxby, who was the lucky walker of the group.

 


To give you a feel, the blossoms were everywhere! It was truly like a tunnel of blossoms at most points along the path (we went about 4 miles roundtrip). By the time we made it to the Jefferson Memorial, the rain was really coming down, but I didn't hear one complaint from the boys. They were having a great time. I also recommend the Franklin D. Roosevelt Memorial. I can't wait to go back (when it's not raining so hard) and see the waterfalls and read all the quotations on the walls.

 


If my history is correct, these Cherry trees were planted by the Japanese over 100 years ago as a gift to the country (please correct me if I'm wrong), and the knotty trunks really showed their age. We had a great morning, leaving at 9:15am and not getting back home until about 1:45pm!

Today was also Faith's last gymnastics class for awhile, but she wouldn't smile for the camera when she received her ribbon, so you'll have to just trust me on this one!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Cianne said...

How I miss those Cherry Blossoms! I was just thinking that it was cherry blossom time and that I wished I was in DC with all my friends so we could take the kids to see them.

Tauna said...

I would love to see the trees in real life- I bet they are so beautiful. Megan and Ryan see them every year and I know this is one thing that my mother and father in law are going to miss seeing. The pictures of faith are so cute- Her outfits are classic!
and I have to tell you that the whole adventure of the egg roll looked way fun! Love the pictures!

Rachel said...

I love the Franklin D. memorial - I discovered it this fall and can't wait to re-visit. We're so proud of Faith, she looks like she learned a lot!

Bekka said...

The cherry blossoms are gorgeous. I can't say it enough, you are such a great mom! Your kids are going to have great family memories and to me those are some of the most precious things I have. I love reading about your family!