Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day!

We have had a very "loving" morning today. I tried to start the day out right by saying "What can we do to show our family members that we love them?" And Grant ran with it, followed by Clark and John. They made each other's beds, put the pillows on, and were so gracious when another did a service for them...a perfect way for a Mommy to start out my Valentine's Day.
Here's our breakfast table with a little "gift" for each child: "Cars" pencils for Grant, Hello Kitty pez for Faith, and for the little boys...SPATULAS!

I made a photo book for Andrew and titled it "What does Daddy love?" He got tears in his eyes as he read it, and wanted to take it to work to show his co-workers, which was exactly what I had hoped he would do. I was very pleased.
Unfortunately, Daddy was in a bit of a rush this morning for a weekly 8:30am meeting, but we still had a special time together and then sent him on his way. The kids don't have school today or tomorrow because of Parent Teacher Conferences, so it's been great! We took John and Clark to preschool, and then I told Grant and Faith that we needed to run to the mall for something. Quotable for the day: "Mom, are we going to the National Mall?" "No, Grant, just the regular mall where you buy things". Oh, I love living in Washington D.C.

On the way to school, Grant asked "Is it a law to have a job?" which led us to a conversation about why you need to work...which leads to money...which leads to a place to live...which leads to homelessness. Grant knew about homeless shelters, but Faith asked "How do they go places?" When I told her that they walk, she said "But what about getting all the way to the Children's Museum (in Baltimore)?" She was shocked when I told her that homeless people can't do fun things like that. It was kind of sad, but I think she also realized a bit how lucky we are to have all that we have.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Taryn said...

wow...what an amazing morning! i hope i remember some of these ideas when i am a mom!

Jill said...

Looks like such a fun day! You're such a cute mom!!!

Unknown said...

You have such good kids! Not only do they do nice things for each other, they seem to be so smart!
I love Grant's "National Mall" comment. It reminds me of when I was 13 and my family came here on vacation. My family kept talking about how we were going to the Mall that day and I was so excited. I was terribly disappointed, however, when I found out that the mall was a bunch of stone monuments and large stretches of grass.